
Leanne Campbell took to social media to share the news
Leanne Campbell has confirmed that her long running breakfast show has been axed.
Hits Radio, formerly Radio City, will stop broadcasting the show this summer as it is set to be replaced by a national show. Leanne Campbell – who has co-hosted breakfast on Radio City and Hits Radio for more than 10 years – and her current presenting partner Joel Ross will vanish from their 6am-10am at that time.
The programme was the only one left on Hits Radio Liverpool that had a Merseyside link, after the Radio City breakfast show was combined with the one broadcast on Lancashire’s Rock FM – which Joel hosted. The Liverpool station and 14 others across the country were rebranded to Hits Radio last April.
That meant the end of the Radio City name. Just before Christmas last year, the station also closed in St. John’s Beacon, where it had been based since 2000.
Parent company Bauer Media revealed that it will scrap local and regional breakfast shows on all of its Hits Radio stations for the whole of England and Wales from June 9.
Sharing her thoughts to Facebook page ‘Ladies of Liverpool’, Leanne Campbell said: “Our show will be replaced by a national show. To every single one of you who has woken up with me in Liverpool for over 22 years, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
“It has been the greatest privilege to be part of your mornings, to share the laughter, the stories, our lives and all the moments that have made this job so special THANK YOU!”
She continued: “Your support has always meant the world to me and without it we wouldn’t have smashed those glass ceilings together. What a journey! The scouse ‘travel girl’ is forever grateful for what we achieved! X”
‘Gutted’ fans were quick to share their thoughts on the post. Fans insisted they “wouldn’t listen to the radio station again.” One comment read: “Sorry to hear this…. I won’t be tuning in once you’ve gone!
“Wishing you all the very best for your future. And thank you for all the laughs you’ve given Liverpool in the mornings, won’t be the same without you and Joel….xXx.”

A second fan said: “Nnnoooo! No way! The drive to work will never be the same again xx.” Another comment read: “OMG what??? The drive to work each morning is much better having you two in the car with me. I look special laughing to myself in the car. OMG I’m actually really gutted. I’m so so so sorry they’ve done this to you. Station….. deleted.”
A fourth fan said: “What!! This is awful news. Leanne won’t be listening to this station again love listening to you in the mornings all in good fun. You’ll smash whatever comes next.”
Simon Myciunka, CEO of Bauer Media Audio UK, said of the shift to fully networked programmes: “We continually evolve to meet audience behaviours and advertiser needs and by launching one single national breakfast show across Hits Radio, we are supercharging our efforts to provide a more unified, engaging experience across the entire schedule while also retaining local news and information.
“I’d like to extend my thanks to our Hits Radio breakfast teams in England and Wales as they embark on their final run of shows. Their significant contribution has played a hugely important part of the Hits Radio story so far and we wish them well for the future.”